Wooden table legs
The table is an integral part of the design of the kitchen, dining room or living room, regardless of the size of the area of the apartment, whether it is a small studio apartment or a spacious house. Today there are a huge variety of table options from a variety of materials: metal, plastic, glass, etc.
However, the classic version, which remains steadily popular, regardless of fashion trends, is a table made of wood. This table creates a cozy atmosphere in the house, family, warm. Behind him is nice to eat as well as just to spend time talking. Our article is devoted to such an element of wooden furniture as table legs.
Choosing the right material
In any furniture store, you can pick up the desired option, because the current range is so wide that it is easy to get lost. It is also possible to order a wooden table by special measures in the furniture workshop. The legs in the tables perform an important supporting function and are a decorative ornament of the whole structure. The most beautiful legs are obtained by using only natural wood in the manufacture. Such material gives the chance to create the carved legs, unique on the design.
Any model made of wood, will cost dearly, however, will serve in the house not one year. In such cases, many people prefer to make this piece of furniture with their own hands, using the skills of a carpenter and a set of tools for working wood.
The success of the work depends not only on the master, but also on the materials used, and the complexity of the chosen model.
Considering that the legs must withstand a considerable weight of the tabletop and not only it, preference should be given to solid wood, such as oak, walnut, mahogany and others. The price of the product will depend primarily on the types of wood used, since many varieties have a considerable cost.
You also need to pay attention to this when choosing:
- The most common and durable oak is considered. He is the most popular, as it is not so expensive and no less quality. Differs in the big term of operation, resistance to a mold and sharp changes of temperatures. However, to make something of this type of wood requires special incisors, because of the high density, not every tool will be able to process it.
- Ash has similar characteristics, but it looks brighter. The advantages of this type of wood is its elasticity, high strength, no cracks during drying. You should know that the legs of it must be wiped with antiseptics, as it is prone to the appearance of worms.
- Walnut is considered to be one of the most expensive types of wood, however, its high price is justified by a high degree of strength and moisture resistance and ease of processing. At the same time it has an elegant appearance and beautiful structure.
- Another type of array, easy to process is considered beech. It has an interesting structure, is easy to paint and rarely crack. But at high humidity it is prone to the appearance of a fungus, which spoils its internal structure.
- To create luxury products used legs made of mahogany and wenge. These varieties are brought from Central America, so their cost is so high. They also have an unusual texture pattern and, when properly processed, give the product an unsurpassed look. The legs of this tree not only look rich, but according to their characteristics are among the highest quality. They are easily processed, polished, resistant to temperature jumps, and insects and other parasites do not start there.
For those who want to buy a table with wooden legs, you should pay attention to the parameters that directly affect the cost of the finished product. These parameters include: the design of the legs, the peculiarity of the forms, the parameters, and the types of wood used.
At the same time, you can choose a model made by special order, or purchased in a specialized salon. Accordingly, a model made by individual measures will have a cost much higher than that made in a factory.
Wooden legs for the table can be processed in several ways: by milling, turning or carving:
- Workpieces machined on a lathe are considered to be the cheapest, since a small amount of time and effort is required to make them. The legs are formed during the rotation of the bar attached to the machine. In this way, the processing of an array of wooden legs can be given a variety of geometric shapes. So, they can take the form of a ball, cylinder, while maintaining harmony in combination with other elements of the product. Very interesting and unusually look legs that have a conical shape. These elements of the interior will have a low price, while looking very nice and elegant.
- The most interesting forms of wooden legs betray the master, processing them in a way of milling. Such products are made from pre-prepared blanks. Using all the variety of knives and discs of the milling machine, the carpenter’s workers decorate the legs in every possible way, decorating them with various ornaments and patterns.
- Modern furniture manufacturers use computerized machines in their factories, which according to a given program can produce models of the most varying complexity. This greatly improved the productivity of such enterprises and reduced labor costs for the manufacture of products.
- The most expensive, but at the same time, the most unusual are the legs, made by the method of carving. Initially, this type of wood processing was very time consuming and difficult manual work, but modern technology has greatly facilitated this process. Special multi-axis machines create true works of art. However, the manual processing of furniture legs is much more valuable, because it requires high skill and professionalism of the cutter.
Pros and cons of carved elements
Carved models will perfectly fit into various styles: classical, gothic, rococo, ethno-style, etc.
The advantages of wooden elements of the interior, made by carving, include:
- the use of environmentally friendly materials;
- long-term operation of furniture with proper care;
- the preservation of traditions;
- originality and elegance in the design;
- creating indoors with the help of such furniture a warm atmosphere;
- the ability to restore damaged legs, as well as return to its original appearance.
With a large number of positive features, there are also several negative points:
- it is necessary to have a special ability to properly combine the products made by this method in the interior;
- the effect of temperature change on wood quality;
- high cost;
- specific features of cleaning.
Of all the above arguments, it should be concluded that with proper selection of a wooden product and its further care, such an acquisition will definitely not disappoint buyers.
In addition to the different ways of processing wooden legs, there are also several types of them, which differ in their appearance and style. For example, the cabriole is a light and elegant form of the leg, thinning to the bottom. It goes well with the design of the room in the rococo style. Feet made in the Empire style, where the part at the base is the head of some animal, and the bottom is made in the shape of its paw, look original.
The English classics include the Victorian style, which has smooth lines and curved symmetric transitions. In carved models used floral ornament. A table with such elements is ideal for a classic style room design.
In a room designed in modern design, tables with legs that have strict geometric shapes — ball, cone, cube, etc. — will look good. It should be noted that elements made according to this type will have an acceptable price, since production is not as laborious as all the above types of legs. There are products that combine several types of wood processing, they are perfect for placing in modern or baroque style.
Wooden elements of the furniture set in the form of legs help to give a peculiar zest to the appearance of the table, making it more interesting. Today, the range in furniture stores is so wide that it is a bit confusing for buyers who are not looking for specific pieces of furniture. But this makes it possible to choose the ideal option not only for a specific style, but also taking into account the specific needs of the consumer. The Internet provides an opportunity to find in advance the desired option by viewing the official sites of factories or furniture store sites and selecting the desired model.