Sizes of blankets
Choosing a blanket is an important factor for maximum sleep comfort. It should cover the body, have the necessary margin on each side so that the user does not have to bend his legs and adjust to the features of insufficient size. The dimensions of the blankets are measurements of length and width, they are different, have their own classification, thanks to which it will not be difficult to choose the desired size.
What are the sizes of blankets?
Determining a clear size was due to the need to properly maintain the user's body heat, taking into account comfort. The dimensions of blankets, measured in a free state, comply with the developed standards (for example, Russian GOST R 51554-99), they differ in different countries, may allow a slight deviation from the established norm (no more than 3%).
In our country, the size range was developed at the beginning of the two thousandth with the expectation of a medium-sized married couple, so the size of the blankets was compact and not always suitable for buyers, because there was not much diversity, and the size itself was often not enough.
To date, there are two known systems of length and width: European (metric), used in European countries and English, used, in particular, by American brands. The first system is simpler and consists of data in centimeters, having one-digit marking or indicating the units of measurement (for example, 150 x 200 and 150 cm x 200 cm). The second system is more complicated, since measurements are specified in inches and feet, which is inconvenient for buyers, is an obstacle to choice, does not provide complete, comprehensive information about the size of the model you like and often forces the buyer to search for the right thing in another store.
The Russian size range of blankets today consists of 8 different parameters for children and adults. At the expense of foreign companies, the range of measurements has been significantly expanded, allowing you to choose the most convenient option for the existing furniture or taking into account the characteristics of a particular person’s body (important for users with excess weight). For convenience of choice, the established dimensions are divided into several groups, the number of which at one time increased due to the production of special furniture, called the “Euro”.
To date, the existing size grid includes the following dimensions of blankets:
- single beds;
- one and a half sleeping;
Non-standard sizes are in each category, because quite often such blankets are made to order for specific furniture of non-standard plan. Some brands offering their products for sale are trying to record the measurements in the table to make it easier for the buyer to navigate when choosing the desired size.
What affects the measurement of the size of the blanket?
The error of standard sizes is explained by their volume, material of manufacture: standards are based on technical data, taking into account production technology. By type of manufacturing blankets can be:
- wovenmade on a special machine;
- quilted, with a filler, covered on both sides with a cloth;
- non wovenfelted;
- fur, unilateral or bilateral with a fur base;
- knitted, in the form of plaids of yarn, as well as supplemented with a woven base and insulation.
It is much easier to measure woven and felted models than quilted products with volumetric filler or knitwear options, elastic materials that have properties to stretch in different directions. Moreover, if the smaller size has greater accuracy, measurements of spacious blankets for two users of these types will be approximate. Despite the fact that measurements are carried out with a rigid ruler, it is difficult to measure the length and width of models as accurately as possible to the millimeter; therefore, an approximate number is taken as the basis of measurements, often rounding it.
Not less than the value on the measurement provides texture of the blanket. The surface of the product can be smooth, brushed (with a short or long pile, fur), which complicates accurate measurement and leads to a small error. Some manufacturers do not round the measured result by recording the exact parameter in the product labeling (for example, 142 x 163 cm).
A separate topic is the size of blankets "homemade". These parameters do not depend on the dimensional grid and are often performed arbitrarily, further implying tailoring a suitable duvet cover. If the model is made in the form of a blanket blanket and does not need a duvet cover, it is even simpler: the craftswomen do not rely on standard sizes, making the product in the desired format and taking into account the convenient sizes.
Many "home" products are not obtained in a given size, as in the manufacture of a blanket is reduced in length, width, and even together. For example, it is inherent in knitted planes with textured braids and harnesses (the blanket becomes narrower), products from pompons (after washing are getting smaller), Bombon blanket (when filling the squares it becomes significantly smaller). For this reason, skilled workers before work make an exact calculation and often make a sample, because the finished blanket must obey the size of the furniture for which it is intended.
The size range for children initially consisted of two parameters: 75 x 100 and 100 x 150 cm. Today, these dimensions are more diverse, the range of category parameters is divided into infants (newborns), toddlers, preschool groups, schoolchildren and teenagers.
A distinctive feature of these blankets are non-standard forms of products: these are not only habitual blankets in the form of a rectangle or a square: there are special transforming blankets for mattresses-cocoons, similar to covers, the dimensions of which depend on specific models. These blankets provide protection to the baby from cooling, while not having extra material. With regards to the classic size, the smallest options today are designed for the bassinet and the pram. They do not obey the specific parameters of the bed and are 90 x 90, 100 x 100, 100 x 110 cm.
The bed options are a bit more spacious: their length and width is 100 x 140, 110 x 125, 110 x 140, 100 x 150, 120 x 140 cm. The variability is explained by the different dimensions of the furniture. Moreover, trademarks often set their own standards, therefore, in addition to generally accepted standards, manufacturers of blankets have to adapt to the particular furniture. Sometimes companies produce both furniture and bedding for it, which is very convenient and allows you to immediately purchase a complete set, without worrying that the accessories will not fit.
The size of teenage blankets depends on the age and growth of the child, although sometimes they mean a full-fledged model of a single blanket. In general, the size range for teenagers consists of three sizes: 160 x 80, 120 x 160, 140 x 160 cm.
Single-person adult models are designed for a single user with an average weight of up to 90 kg. Such dimensions of a single blanket are 80 x 180, 120 x 170, 120 x 180, 120 x 200, 140 x 170 cm. However, it is inconvenient to sleep under such a blanket, because modern man is used to greater comfort. Therefore, manufacturers offer more spacious products with the parameters 130 x 180, 130 x 190, 140 x 190, 140 x 200 cm. The latter dimensions are dual and can be included not only in the line of single beds: they are often called one-and-a-half.
One and a half sleeping
Single-and-a-half size blankets include single-user models that have a more comfortable coverage area. The name has nothing to do with the number of people: this is a spacious blanket for one, although earlier, due to the lack of large sizes of blankets and furniture, it was necessary to huddle together under it. The size range consists of several options that differ in length and width: 140 x 205, 145 x 210, 150 x 200, 150 x 210, 150 x 215, 150 x 220, 155 x 215, 160 x 220, 165 x 200 cm.
More spacious dimensions include some companies in a line of products for two: according to some data, models with sizes from 150 cm in width are referred to double blankets, although this is a controversial issue. Therefore, the size range of each country may be different and not subject to common figures.
Blankets for two - no less diverse category than the line for children. In addition to the classic dimensions of 170 x 200, 170 x 210, 172 x 205, 180 x 200 cm, it includes more spacious in length and width of the model: 180 x 220, 180 x 230, 180 x 250, 190 x 230, 200 x 210 cm.
The largest dimensions are the parameters 230 x 270, 260 x 240, 280 x 250, 250 x 300 cm. Such products are manufactured by trademarks of Italy, Belgium, France, Portugal. However, in our country such dimensions are rather rare, because to find a duvet cover for them is a real problem. Products manufactured in Russia comply with the standards 280 x 240 and 300 x 240, but it is not easy to buy a cover for them.
The size category "euro" today is one of the most popular. It is worth knowing that the size of the euro is not a single parameter, as many mistakenly believe. His appearance, he is obliged to furniture, which has the same name. Like the other blankets of other categories, the euro obeys the characteristics of the furniture and is designed in such a way that the two users have enough blankets to the maximum.
The line is divided into "European standard" and "Euromax". The second sizes are called King size or royal. Sleeping under such a blanket is comfortable and there is no need to huddle. The size range of the category includes products with the parameters 195 x 215, 200 x 220, 220 x 240, 240 x 260 cm.
Choosing bed linen
The choice of bed linen depends on the model of the blanket: if a model blanket is bought, it is enough to buy pillowcases and a sheet for it in the same style or color scheme according to the design of the blanket itself. If the blanket does not provide a duvet cover, has a fur, knitted texture or a complex multi-layered decor, for a general design idea, you can purchase covers for decorative pillows or a pair of capes on the backs of chairs. In this case, it is not necessary to buy bedding in tune with the blanket, because it is in itself a bright accent of a room that does not need repetition and support.
Bed linen is purchased specifically according to the size of the selected blanket, taking into account measurements of the bed and mattress. In this case, it is not only the size that matters; it is important to take into account additions (for example, pillows). Despite the fact that bedding often does not depend on the general idea of the design, it is chosen as a set. Therefore, a single duvet cover is not enough: it is preferable to choose a set with pillowcases.
Do not forget about the bedspread, giving the bed a neat look and covering the bed from mechanical damage, protecting it from dirt, accidental ingress of moisture. The colors of bed linen can be any and usually depends on the preferences of the buyer. It is advisable to avoid depressive and flashy colors, precluding the creation of a calm atmosphere (red, black, dark gray, steel, cold blue).
Light colors visually make the size of the blanket more, a pleasant pattern creates the desired mood to rest. Preferred delicate shades of pastel colors (pink, celestial, magenta, coral, mint, beige, turquoise, gold and other colors).
How to choose a duvet cover?
Choosing a duvet cover is not such a difficult task. However, when buying there are nuances that are worth paying attention to: this will allow you to choose the textile case as accurately as possible:
- It is necessary to select a model for specific dimensions of the blanket. with as little margin as possible. However, today brands offer fairly accurate sizes of duvet covers, so buying a "centimeter per centimeter" after washing can turn into a problem: a blanket inside the case can form folds, gather in a pile, which is ugly outwardly.
- It is worth considering the type of material: synthetic is undesirable, because having an attractive appearance, not every fabric allows moisture and air to pass through, which adversely affects the microclimate under the blanket. Natural textiles are hypoallergenic, it does not harm the skin, does not cause allergies, makes the blanket warmer even with thin fabric. The best cotton fabrics are satin, calico. They well cover the case of microfiber, percale, teak, jacquard.
- In a duvet cover made of silk, a blanket can slip, gather in a pile. In addition, such material is heavily wrinkled, which looks not very neat. If you want to choose a quality case, you should pay attention to the product with a zipper.
To have a more detailed understanding of the size and appearance of blankets, you can look at the products of proven brands with a lot of customer reviews:
- Dargez - a wide range of blankets (more than 1000 items) of different, including all-season type of one-and-a-half, double and euro-size with a different type of filler (siliconized polyester fiber, cotton, “Swan's down” microfiber, down, half-fluff, Tencel, Weitel ”) and different cloth cover.
- Togas - a line of quilted models of the closed type of different sizes with a filler in the form of natural wool in satin, microfiber in anti-stress textiles, Austrian and Mazurian goose in batiste, cashmere in silk, with a wide variation in price (from 4,200 to 80,000 rubles and above).
- "Ecotex" - closed quilted models of one-and-a-half, double and euro-sizes with the budget cost of a lightweight and standard plan made of bamboo and microfiber DownFil, camel hair, merino wool, equipped with a cotton case made of teak, poplin, satin-jacquard, percale, soaked with aloe vera extract.
- Kariguz - various models: from lightweight to very dense and warm for one, two users and the size of the euro, made from natural raw materials (camel and sheep wool, goose down, cashmere, bamboo) and synthetic filler for different times of the year, with cassette, quilted and combined type of manufacture.
- "Couch potato" - three lines of one and a half size blankets (Standard, Elite and Premium) made of bamboo fiber, camel and sheep wool, Mongolian yak down, Korean latest-generation siliconized fiber with a hygroscopic and soft hypoallergenic cover.
- Natures - products of the domestic company of one-and-a-half, double and euro-size, all-season models made of genuine Australian merino wool, goose down and small feathers, bamboo and hollow siliconized fiber, characterized by an acceptable price and natural cotton cover.
- Mona lisa - inexpensive blankets of three sizes, having as a filler a soft layer of rayon with viscose, bamboo, camel wool, cotton, polyester with a cover of natural or mixed fabric (a mix of polyester and cotton).
- Primavelle - hypoallergenic models for different seasons of fluff (including swan), wool, bamboo, eco-fiber, silk, phyto-and synthetic filler of standard sizes for adults on one and a half, double and euro-colored, packed in cotton covers of pleasant colors.