How to quickly remove the old paint from the walls?
Very often, when repairing, the procedure of painting surfaces or their putty is delayed due to the need to clean off the old layer of paint. A few decades ago it was fashionable to paint the walls, especially in such areas as the bathroom, kitchen and toilet. If you need to repair just such an apartment, then removing an old, sometimes very high-quality paint can be a huge problem. In most cases it is unacceptable to paint the surface covered with old paint. The incompatibility of painting materials can be revealed, and then all the work will come to naught.
Peeling, cracking, shedding a new layer is what can wait for you.
If the paints have the same compositions and practically do not differ in colors or shades, then you just need to perfectly level the surface, and only you can apply a new layer. Smooth and dry surface is the main condition for increasing the life of the paint and to achieve its aesthetic appearance. When filling it is necessary to take into account that the composition will not stick to the paint. It is necessary to completely remove all layers of the old composition. This is a very time-consuming process, because manufacturers are trying to make high-quality and resistant paints.
There are three ways to remove the old coating from the walls:
Consider each of them in more detail.
It is considered the most common, easy and effective method of cleaning. This is due to the fact that it is not necessary to apply a lot of physical strength for this. You just need to buy a suitable liquid to remove the old paint, put it on the surface and after a few hours erase the thin clay mass from the walls. This method is mainly used for oil and acrylic formulations. In the case of multi-layer coating, the procedure will have to be repeated several times. It all depends on the number of layers. What quality liquid to buy, you are free to decide on your own. Now the range of such chemicals on the market is very large.
This method is really fast, but chemistry is chemistry. It is hardly suitable for pregnant women, mothers with small children nearby or for lovers of domestic animals, as well as allergies. It is recommended to apply such liquid only in protective gloves, points and a respirator. It should not be poured into the toilet, and can only be used in well-ventilated areas. Liquid must be disposed of only according to the instructions due to the high toxicity of the composition.
There are also folk ways to get rid of old paint. For example, you can cover the surface with liquid glass, and when the composition hardens, in one motion to peel off the film along with the paint. Also well proven method with ammonia and turpentine. Liquid should be diluted in a ratio of 2: 1. The resulting mixture should be applied to the surface and leave for an hour. Then you need to additionally walk with a spatula on the wall.
Thermal method implies the effect of heat on the cleaning object. A powerful building dryer consistently processes the entire surface of the wall. Then you need, without letting the melted mass cool down, remove it with a wide sharp spatula. This is a very effective way, but it does not always have a powerful hair dryer on hand. Many home-grown craftsmen replace it with a regular iron. They iron the wall of the wall through the paper with a hot iron. The disadvantage of this method is that it is not always possible to use high temperature. Such places on the wall as outlets, switches, open wiring will not withstand exposure to high temperatures. It is necessary to work in a special mask, because you can breathe harmful evaporation.
This is the most common way to clean the wall of old paint. First of all, you need to choose a tool that you will work with. You can scrape and scraper, and you can choose an electric drill, grinder or grinder. There are many different nozzles for an electric drill, which can be chosen depending on the material from which the coating to be cleaned is made. Masters consider the grinding wheel the most convenient and versatile tool for work. It is suitable for all types of surfaces and materials being cleaned.
Not the last place is occupied by folk methods of removing old paint. Among them are:
- Quicklime and potash must be diluted in a proportion of 70% to 30% and mixed with water to obtain a viscous mixture. It is necessary to apply this mixture on the surface and let it soak for 12-24 hours. Then all you need to clean off the chisel.
- Stir chalk and lime mortar (all take 5 kg) to a pasty state, add caustic soda and apply 2-3 mm layer to the walls. After an hour or two, you can clean.
- Use wallpaper glue to smear a sheet of thick paper and stick it to the wall. After drying, wipe off the paper with paint with a spatula.
- Mix iodine and water (for 10 liters of water 250 grams of iodine). Apply liquid to the wall and wait for cracks to appear on the surface. Then they need to be removed with a chisel.
- A glass of ammonia and 2 kg of chalk must be dissolved in a liter of water. Spread the wall with this mixture, and within 2-3 hours the paint will peel off. Just carefully peel it off with a construction spatula.
- Grate soap and mix with warm water. Further it is necessary to lubricate this mixture with this mixture.
Remove the paint helps wash. It perfectly removes stains.
Tools and materials
- The most common tool for cleaning surfaces from old paint is hand scraper. This is a very effective and budget option. But still, after working with this tool for several hours, you begin to think about more expensive and less labor-intensive options. The main disadvantage of this process is that it is very slow and painstaking. Completely remove all the old paint will not work, no matter how hard you try.
- You can choose to work building hair dryer. With good power of this tool, the process of removing the old coating occurs very quickly. The downside is that it can not be used in the kitchen. It is very fire hazardous. In addition, building surfaces can not handle large surfaces.
- Bulgarian with various nozzles ideal for all surfaces. Its disadvantage is that at high revs it strongly sparks.
- Electric drill - very good tool for cleaning, especially if all necessary nozzles are available. One of the best nozzles, as practice shows, is the grinding wheel. The grain of the skin on it should not be less than 40. The minus of this tool - you need to work in a respirator and glasses. When working, a lot of dust is formed and after a short time almost nothing is visible around.
- Perforator - This is a convenient, but very noisy tool. If you use the nozzle in the form of a scapula, the result will certainly please you. It cleans any surface very well. The perforator cleans paint and old putty to the concrete itself.
- Chisel will not help you to process a large surface. But It is worth noting that near the outlets and in other hard-to-reach places it is simply irreplaceable. The main disadvantages of working with a chisel are that this process is slow and it is necessary to constantly undermine the tool.
- Rough emery cloth - This is a fairly cheap tool. Working with her is a tedious and long process, but it turns out to be done very carefully. It is recommended to use it with a chisel on small volumes.
- Water and ax - the most environmentally safe and easy method to remove the dye, but requires remarkable strength and strong biceps. The wall is plentifully moistened with water before knocking on it with an ax. You need to do a notch on the notch, then the paint between them will crumble and disappear by itself. The minus is physically very hard work.
How to delete?
Methods for removing old paint from the wall, there are many, from the old "grandfathers" to the newfangled, using the latest materials and tools. When using chemicals to remove the old coating, it is necessary to apply the chemical to the wall with brushes or rollers, starting from the top edge. It is necessary to apply densely and evenly, it is desirable to do it quickly. For a multilayer coating will have to apply the tool more than once. After a certain time (specified in the instructions for use), armed with a scraper or chisel, you must begin to scrape away the layer of paint from the bottom of the wall. After treating the entire wall in this way and going over the top with a metal brush, we wash it out with a soda solution at room temperature.
It is necessary to apply ordinary water to the wall and wait until the plaster absorbs it. Then rhythmic progressive movements to make one notch above the other. The smaller the distance between them, the better the paint disappears. It is better to take an ax small and sharp, since it will be much easier to work with it. Burning is performed using a gas burner. One person heats the wall to a degree when it starts to get dark. His assistant at this time immediately cleans the darkened place with a scraper with a long handle or a special spatula.
This is a good and fast, but unsafe method. Such clearance should be done with care.
For the Bulgarian and perforator special nozzles are needed that help in the work. They are attached to the tool and during work they beat paint and plaster away from the walls. You can also use different brushes with a metallic bristle. Even a child can work with a spatula and chisel. With this tool you need with a little pressure at an angle to scrape the old paint off the wall.
When using a building hair dryer, the surface is methodically treated with hot air and immediately cleaned with a chisel. Then the surface must be thoroughly washed with warm soapy water and cleaned with a cloth.
This way you can get rid of white.
How to choose a suitable method?
When choosing the right method for removing old paint, there are a lot of factors to consider, both human and technical. If the house is inhabited by small children, pregnant women, allergies, people with asthma, pets, then in no case should you choose a chemical method. Otherwise, you can send these residents at the time of repair from home. Technical factors affecting the choice of cleaning method include:
- what material the walls are made of;
- what paint they were covered with;
- how well the room is ventilated;
- what time you can work (noise, complaints from neighbors);
- what means you have;
- what tools do you own.
- Work grinder best in large industrial premises or outdoors. When working with it, too much dust is generated and this makes the work process very difficult. It is not suitable for wooden walls, because it is too powerful and can damage the structure of the tree.
- Spatula and Chisel fit only in the case when the paint itself falls off. It is better to use them for use in hard-to-reach places: behind batteries, pipes, near power outlets and switches.
- Hammer and Chisel You can also overcome only short distances. The method is effective, but very long. It is necessary to set the chisel at an angle to the wall and, tapping it on it, beat the paint with a hammer.
- It is most convenient to remove paint from walls with diamond grinding machine.
- Pickaxe mason You can use just like an ax. Sometimes it works much better and faster, and my hands are not so tired. All hand tools are good because they can work almost silently.
- To use chemicals only those people who have no contraindications, besides having sufficient funds, as the prices of some of them are rather rather small, can. Gel-like agents are much more expensive, but they are also more effective. In no case can you mix different chemicals with each other, because the effect can be unpredictable. The hardest thing to wash off textured surface.
- When using any of the methods of removing the old coating from the walls should use personal protective equipment. You will certainly need protective gloves, goggles, and sometimes even a gas mask. When working with power tools do not forget that he must be grounded. Do not allow the ingress of moisture to the devices.
In any case, you can choose the way you like to clean painted walls, maybe even by trial and error. Thanks to our advice, the surfaces will be clean without any extra effort and in the shortest possible time.