Living room with workplace: subtleties of zoning
A living room with an office in one room is not uncommon in conditions of a shortage of free square meters. Arranging a place to work in the living room, you need to plan everything in advance. It is not always possible to create the right interior of the room, which has to perform several functions at once. Here every little thing, every detail is important. However, do not be afraid of change. If you correctly approach the solution of this issue, you can get a very interesting and comfortable interior, in which all family members, and even guests, will be comfortable.
Advantages and disadvantages
Before embarking on the alteration of perhaps the most important premise in an apartment, it is necessary to reveal all the advantages and disadvantages of this reorganization. Consider first all the possible benefits:
- Lots of light. The living room is usually the largest and lightest room in the apartment. Adequate lighting is very important for any job.
- No need to win a room from anyone. The living room, by definition, is a common room, that is, it does not belong solely to any of the inhabitants of the living space. So, you will not need to ask permission, ask someone to give you this place. And you can safely go about your business, not distracting anyone and not interfering with the household.
- Ability to update the design. When re-equipping the space of a room, the most unexpected ideas may arise, the embodiment of which can completely transform the room, and it will become the brightest and most original place in the apartment.
- Space saving. It often happens that a private room is too small to provide a place for any activity there. And there is no opportunity to take another room due to the lack of free meters.
- Ability to do several things at once. You can do your job and at the same time communicate with all other family members or watch TV if it does not distract you from your occupation.
However, the idea to combine the hall and the work area is not without flaws:
- Since the room is intended primarily for receiving guests and is a common gathering place for all family members, these factors can be distracting, which will prevent you from concentrating on your work. Extraneous conversations, loud sound of the TV - all this dispels attention and can affect the quality of your actions.
- The inconvenience for the rest of the tenants. If your activity is related to the presence of extraneous noise, they can interfere with those who will be simultaneously with you in the room.
- The workplace should always be in perfect order, so every time after work you will be required to carry out a full cleaning of the room. If you work with papers, it is necessary to remove them every time so that someone does not accidentally brush them off the table or put a cup of tea on them (many people like to eat in front of the TV).
If you sew, besides garbage collection on the floor, be sure to carefully hide all dangerous items such as scissors or needles, so that children or someone else inadvertently grab them.
Place for working area.
If you are determined to settle down with your work in the living room, you must determine how to properly zoning the room. There are several common options for how to best equip a place to work:
- Balcony. If from the living room there is an exit to the loggia or at least to the balcony (even if it is small), this will allow you to get additional space for work. If the project of the apartment allows, then the wall between the room and the loggia can be demolished, thus increasing the space, and instead of the wall you can install a plasterboard partition with a niche for storing things, papers and other items you need for work. Often in the wall between the loggia and the room window block is inserted. It can also be dismantled without touching the lower part of the wall - it can be conveniently fitted under the table.
- Niche. This can be an ideal place to work. The niche is easiest to separate from the rest of the space. A lack of daylight can be compensated by additional built-in lights. However, they can be installed not only in the ceiling, but also in the walls around the perimeter of the niche.
- Angle. Most often, the space in the corner is empty as too uncomfortable to put something substantial there. But for the desktop angle is quite suitable. This placement is often chosen by moms who are forced to combine work and child minding. For this option, suitable furniture on wheels to make it easier to get up from the table.
- Near the window. This option has several undeniable advantages. First, you can use the window sill as a table. If necessary, it can be increased to the desired width. And secondly, the workplace will be sufficiently lit. Alternatively, you can place the table between two windows. Then the light will flow evenly on both sides.
Living room zoning
If none of the standard solutions suits you, only one thing remains - space zoning. The simplest thing is to divide the room into zones for work and rest using lighting. This may be a desk lamp, wall sconces near the table or built-in ceiling lights. If this is a computer desk with shelves for office equipment, LED strip can be run along the perimeter. This light will look very original and make the living room stylish and modern.
In addition, in the living room you can make a multi-level ceiling and position the built-in lights, for example, above the sofa and above the work table.
Experts recommend planning combined rooms in such a way so that the person sitting in the workplace is turned to the main room with his back. This is necessary so that he can concentrate. Ideally, it is desirable to separate the two functional areas with a partition. It can be either capital, being a remnant of a wall, or made artificially from various materials, or a light type of portable screen or curtain.
The latter are very convenient because, if necessary, they can be removed and restore the integrity of the room. The division of space into zones can also be done with the help of pieces of furniture. This may be a closet, a stylish slide, a part of the wall or a rack with niches. This option is good because it completely hides the seated person from prying eyes.
Sometimes there are rooms of irregular shape - for example, pentagonal, or having various niches in which you can also organize an isolated space for work. They can additionally equip storage space. However, the second option is not without some inconvenience - while you work you will rest with a glance at the blank wall, and the lack of natural lighting will force you to invest in additional light sources.
Also zoning can be done on an additional elevation. This kind of pedestal is often obtained if the loggia or balcony is connected to the main room. In this case, it is often necessary to warm the floor.
Great idea to zone a room with the help of finishing materials.. This can be a highlight of the entire interior. To implement such an idea, you can use not only different wallpapers, but also various materials for decoration. For example, if the main part of the living room is covered with paper wallpaper, then the part that will be a working area can be finished with plastic panels, decorative plaster or just wallpaper with a different texture.
At the same time, it is important to maintain a uniform style: the materials should be in harmony with each other, either by color, or by theme, or by texture.
Depending on the type of activity furniture may need the most different. If the work of the intellectual plan is performed mainly on a computer, in this case a comfortable chair and a light table are necessary.
Since the age of bulky monitors is a thing of the past, and light laptops and compact all-in-one PCs have replaced them, it is often enough just a small table and sockets nearby to charge the battery. And for storing documents, disks, stationery and other things, you can hang a small shelf.
If you are engaged in some creative work, and you need to work, for example, a sewing or knitting machine, then a comfortable sitting place is important here. Only in this case it should not be a soft armchair, but a chair with a backrest adjustable in height. You should also think about the storage system of working materials - yarn, thread, fabric and so on. It can be a rack with glass doors or a chest of drawers with drawers.
If necessary, they can act as a space delimiter. Whatever the furniture, it is desirable that it does not look like a foreign body, but in harmony with the environment. For example, if the drawer for the TV and coffee table are made in the same color scheme, then the desktop must be selected in color. Especially if the workspace is not protected by any partitions.
In order not to overload the room with unnecessary furniture, you can use an existing one in your work - for example, a dining table, if there is one, or a console for a TV. For the same purpose, you can pick up furniture-transformer. Today's stores are ready to offer customers various options: a folding table or chair, a sliding tabletop, and even a table that turns into a sleeper.
Closed floor cabinets will weight a small room. Therefore, it is worthwhile to use space on the walls - hang open shelves for books and papers. However, a sense of proportion is important, and there should not be too many shelves, otherwise they will visually “eat” the space.
Some designers advise to arrange a rest room, combined with a study, in a single color scheme, so that it looks like a finished project. Other decorators, on the other hand, recommend highlighting and highlighting different areas with different colors. Which option to choose, you decide. As for the recommended colors in which the work space should be arranged, here much depends on what type of activity you are doing.
Universal colors are all muted tones.: neutral white, moderate blue, calm beige, light gray, pale yellow, and the color of young green. From too bright colors your eyes will quickly tire. In addition, they distract from the working mood.
If the soul asks for a holiday, and halftones are not for you, you can dilute them with small bright patches. In addition, you can "please" the eye by choosing a bright upholstery for a chair or chair.