Cushions give the room a feeling of comfort. Nothing can make a greater contribution to comfort than hand-made objects. One of the most popular techniques for creating unique things from textiles in the home is patchwork.
"Patchwork" in translation from English means "work of shreds." Everyone has ever seen funny pillows or blankets made from scraps of various fabrics.
In the process of making pillows in the style of patchwork can be used different materials - from chintz to artificial leather. Many craftsmen make such gizmos of the remnants of the fabric after sewing curtains, sofa upholstery or old unnecessary things. That is the idea of this technique: the combination of available materials together, which thanks to this they acquire a new life.
The choice of form is also individual. Pillows can be made square, oblong or oval. Cute and home-like look round pillows, which can be used not only as a decorative addition to the upholstery of the sofa, but also to put on a flat stool or chair for greater comfort.
Variety of species
Over the long years of the existence of the patchwork technique, masters have created numerous schemes, from the simplest to the most complex. It is easy to create such products, it is enough to own sewing techniques manually and using a typewriter, and also to do the work carefully. Then the results will surpass all expectations.
To create such a product, it is necessary to prepare 16 squares of the same size, for example, with a side of 10 cm. You can choose 2-5 different colors, which are combined with each other and with home furnishings or cut out half of a multi-colored fabric, half of a single color. Sewing technology:
- Elements are stitched together in 4 bands. You can stitch them on the sewing machine, then you need to consider 1 cm for the stock. Then you should fasten the strip together.
- The back side of the pillow should be single colored. In one of the sides of the pillowcase, you can sew a zipper or select 20 cm for a hem.
- When the fastener is implanted, it is necessary to attach the zipper first, and then sew the remaining sides of the square from the wrong side.
- Ready cover can be stuffed with foam rubber, padding polyester, holofiber or old things.
In this scheme, one after another, squares are successively sewn. They should be located at an angle of 90 degrees and attached exactly in the center. Each one is a bit bigger than the previous one. Materials should be in two contrasting colors or patterns.
The technology is as follows:
- The rest is sewn into the central square in the form of a frame, each slightly larger size. The alternation of two different matters will look beautiful.
- Then corners of the third color, contrasting or vice versa, are tied to each square. They must be the same size.
- The strips formed by the new squares should not be too wide, then the product will look sleeker.
Rectangles of different lengths are stitched around the central square, forming a frame. The patterns on them may be completely different, but the width must always be the same.
This is one of the most simple schemes. The options presented below are a bit more complicated, but a beginner can cope with them with a sufficient amount of attention and patience.
To make such a pillow, you need to prepare 32 triangles of the same size and different colors. They should be 3-6 colors, two or three of them can be shades of one color, then the subject of the decor will look more harmonious. Sewing pattern:
- In advance, you need to draw a color scheme for yourself and mark the number of triangles of each color. They must alternate.
- It is easiest to know the size of the future pillow, counting it in future squares, since all the triangles will be stitched in pairs. It is necessary to provide 1 cm for the allowance at the machine line.
- Preparing the squares, you need to expand them on a flat surface in the same form as in the diagram, so as not to get confused.
- Then you should start stitching triangles. All the resulting squares are fastened together in 4 bands, which are also stitched.
- Now you need to prepare the back side of the cushion of monophonic material.
- Such pillows look stylish and spectacular, remarkably complementing the Scandinavian or modern interior.
In the center of the composition is a flower, sewn from petals of the same size. So that the finished pillow had a neat appearance, they need to be made according to a piece. It will take 15 wedges and a round flap of sufficient size for the core.
- In the process of cutting the petals must use 3-5 different fabrics. They are sewn onto a square of a different color.
- Then around the perimeter 4 thin strips of one of the previously used materials are sewn.
- Then another piece of fabric on each side, but already of greater width and lighter material.
- In conclusion, 4 squares of a contrasting color are sewn into the corners of the future pillow.
Sewing technology is as follows:
- For the base, you will need a circle of fabric that does not stretch. It needs to be divided into 8 parts.
- Then you need to prepare 8 stacks of squares of 6 pieces each. The side should be equal to the radius of the circle.
- Putting each square in a stack in half and putting one on top of another with an indent of 1-2 cm, you need to attach them to the base, combining with the fold line. The middle of the rag should be aligned with the middle of the circle. Thus, you need to secure each of the eight piles and proceed to the formation of petals.
- The corners of the first square are folded in a triangle, all the others are overlapped at an angle on them. The outer triangle is required to fasten well.
- Then you need to sew the front side of the pillow from the back.
This is a combination in one pillow of squares and triangles of different colors, forming a characteristic pattern.
Technique sewing "crazy" is different from the classic.
For the middle, it is necessary to choose a shred of the most irregular shape and bright colors. New elements are sewn to it in turn, forming a canvas of the required size. Here the rage of fantasy and ambiguous colors is welcomed. Uneven edges can be cut.
Such pillows are well decorated with embroidery, large beads and braid, bright ribbons.
Nowadays, handicraft products are of particular value, since almost any thing can be purchased in shopping centers and specialty stores. The pillow created by your own hands will delight you with its beauty and gentleness for many years.
Products in this technique are considered a wonderful gift. You can please the household, giving them a pillow, the product of their own work.
English patchwork is more known all over the world. But a similar technique exists in the East. It has several differences.
The most common fabric for work is silk. In addition, the Japanese do not welcome machine line on products made at home. They believe that a really high-quality thing is distinguished by handicraft. Therefore, in the technique uses a special line "forward needle". In this way, they not only fasten pieces of fabric to each other, but also decorate the subject of the interior with embroideries and appliqués.
In general, the presence of embroidered patterns on the fabric is more typical for the eastern patchwork than for the western. The Japanese turned the patchwork into a special kind of art, so the work in this technique looks special.
Oriental patchwork is a special philosophy. Since unused fabrics are traditionally used for sewing, lying around houses, which seem to have a second life, it is associated with renewal and rebirth.
Ideas for making
For pillows in the style of etno, you can abandon the inconspicuous stitching of the machine in favor of bright handmade seams. They can sheathe the edges of decorative elements. In addition, they can be supplemented with tassels or fringe. You can also emphasize the outlines of the pillow with lace braid or satin ribbon. This will add originality to the product.
Fittings that are suitable in style and color can be searched in textile stores. Appliques, embroidery with beads or beads will help to diversify the look of handmade pillows.
Often at home there are old jeans that have become small or unsuitable for wearing. However, it is a pity to throw them out because of the high quality of the fabric.
Fortunately, you can combine several pairs of unnecessary clothes in a patchwork style product. Jeans need to be stripped, washed and stroked, and then choose any options for drawings. Such covers on pillows are very durable and unpretentious. Denim can be combined with velvet or bright muslin. A texture game will complement each interior in a winning way.
If a zipper is inserted into the cushion covers, they can be removed and washed separately. But nothing will happen when washing the pillow filled with foam rubber or old clothes and in general.
It is necessary to choose a temperature regime not higher than 40 degrees and abandon the spin. To dry the product stands, leaning against a vertical surface, preferably in the sun or fresh air.
Examples in the interior
Cute pillow in classic patchwork style, made of gabardine and artificial leather. It took quite a bit of time to create it, but it serves as a magnificent interior decoration.
A whole series of pillows with funny cats pleases the eye. The colors of the fabrics are perfectly combined with each other. Multicolored patches complement applications and embroidery, creating a variety of scenes on the canvas. Pillows are decorated with ribbons, buttons and lace braid. All this can be found in every home. And the result is superior to any store products.
The patchwork pillow, stitched on a typewriter, is decorated with an applique in the form of a cat silhouette, which is easy for even a beginner to create.
A round floral patchwork cushion with floral motifs looks soft and elegant.
Those who are fond of knitting, can create for themselves a similar product, combining various patterns.