Features of Soudal sealants
During construction and repair, it is often necessary to make a tight connection. The Belgian company Soudal offers a line of reliable silicone and polyurethane sealants for domestic and professional use.
The family-owned company Soudal has established itself as the largest manufacturer of silicone and polyurethane sealants, various adhesives and roof seals. The company's products are very popular all over the world, its quality is confirmed by certificates. During its more than 50-year history, the company has opened 16 manufacturing plants around the world, employing about 2,550 employees.
Household and professional sealants are one-component and two-component. Single-component most often produced in tubes and cylinders. Such materials are completely ready to work, and for their use need a mounting gun, which does not require any special skills.
Two-component sealants contain two components that are mixed right before use, as they are not stored for long. Therefore, they are more used by professionals.
Soudal sealants differ in their composition, characteristics and application.
Consider the description of their properties and specifications.
- Silicone. "Neutral Silirub 2", "Universal", "Aquarium", "For glazing windows", "High-temperature", "Classic" - they are all elastic, durable, resistant to UV radiation and do not let water through. "Neutral" and "Sanitary" have antifungal properties, therefore, recommended for use in rooms that are subject to frequent wet cleaning (bathroom, toilet).
Their high ability to stick opens great possibilities for combining with almost all materials, even subject to corrosion.
There are special tools for sealing glass products (for aquariums and glazing window frames). Seams made with silicone sealants should not be painted. But it is not scary, as the sealants produce different colors or completely transparent.
- Polyurethane. Soudaflex 40, Soudaflex 40 FC, Soudaflex 14 LM - contain pitches. They are the fastest-drying, so you will not be able to store open packaging for a long time. Used for sealing joints between panels, window frames and double-glazed windows, waterproofing and during roofing. Their properties make it possible to glue materials of different composition without loss of weld quality. The seams made with such sealants can be painted and varnished.
- Bituminous and rubber. They do not pass water, and therefore they are often used to protect the roof from rain, snow and other atmospheric phenomena. These sealants are perfectly combined with wood, metal, brick and many other building materials. The advantage is the fact that such compositions can be applied on a wet surface.
Surface preparation for sealing also does not require special preparation.
The seams made with bitumen and rubber sealants are strong, durable, resilient and resistant to weathering. Small disadvantages of such materials - they can not be used at low temperatures. In addition, the seams made of bitumen and silicone materials do not allow their staining.
- Acrylic sealants. "Instant", "Parquet" - are composed of a plasticizer, ammonia solution, fillers and safe antiseptic additives. They are combined with all construction materials (especially wood). They are actively used for sealing gaps in the timber, when assembling wooden floors, parquet, laminate boards, installing baseboards, sealing door and window openings. But it can also be used to hermetically connect pipes for various purposes, tile joints and repair cracked furniture. The seams made by these sealants help prevent the penetration of cold, which is important when warming the house.
- High temperature sealants. A special group of silicone building materials. They are able to withstand temperatures up to 350 degrees, so they are used in the manufacture of stoves and fireplaces, chimneys, sealing seams on boilers.
Important: before buying such materials you need to carefully read the information on the packaging. There is indicated the temperature range of this product.
Choose only products that meet the operating conditions of your stoves and fireplaces. High temperature sealants are acidic and neutral. Neutral combined with all materials, but the acid can not be used for sealing materials susceptible to corrosion, as well as in surfaces of cement and concrete.
- Heat-resistant sealing paste. Fix All Classic - SMX polymer hybrids. This type can rather be attributed not to sealing means, but to adhesives. Such materials are able to withstand temperatures of no more than 200 degrees Celsius. But they have their advantages - they are chemically neutral. They dry quickly, but the rate of their hardening is higher, the higher the temperature in the working room. They can be used in baths, showers, bathrooms.
They are also used to eliminate leaks in heating and water systems.
Soudal sealants have different colors.
- Silicone Available in a diverse range of colors: transparent, white, gray, black, brown, terracotta, dark brown, basalt, dark gray, buffalo leather, oak, stone.
- Polyurethane sealants can not be painted, but it is not so scary. After all, their colors are very different: white, light brown, dark brown, dark beige. In addition, there is the option of color concrete.
Scope of application
It is clear that the composition of the sealing materials significantly affects their properties, and hence, their scope of application is different.
- If you need to seal joints in concrete or foundations, use silicone or bituminous.
- For sealing of houses from a bar, laying parquet, laminated boards, installation of baseboards, use acrylic sealants.
- When roofing works are perfect polyurethane.
- For window frames suitable silicone or polyurethane sealant.
- To seal the cracks in the brick wall, take the silicone.
- To seal the seams during plumbing work, seal the cracks in the pipes, use acrylic sealants.
- For stoves and fireplaces choose only high temperature sealants.
Analyzing feedback on Soudal products proves high quality sealants. Of course, for each type of work, buyers use different types of Soudal products, but they all provide high quality construction and repair work. Another of the arguments in favor of this product is the almost absence of negative feedback from consumers (both amateurs and professionals) in construction forums and a relatively low price.
Of the minuses only note the lack of elasticity of the material, and some do not like the price.